Yummy Chewy Fruity Goodness …
This has been a very popular and tasty recipe in my household for several decades and was given to me by an elderly Australian lady when I had another life of running a small business up in the highlands west of Sydney – fun times!!
It has that real old-fashioned, butter and wholesome flavour of many old Australian recipes, and is full of texture and goodness.
It’s ideal for a morning or afternoon tea – melts in your mouth and is totally wholesome.
Like all of my recipes, it is simple and straightforward to make – I’ve had older people say it tasted like something their grandmother would have made … it’s very old-fashioned and not at all fancy.
A cup of chopped dates, some dried apricots, some shredded coconut, raw sugar, wholemeal flour and an egg …
1 1/2 Cups Wholemeal SR Flour
1 Cup chopped dates
1/2 Cup chopped dries apricots
3/4 Cup Shredded Coconut
125gm Butter (melted)
4 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence
1. Preheat oven to 190°C
2. Place some baking paper over the base of a slice tray
3. Chop up your dates and apricots – I use kitchen scissors
4. Add them to the wholemeal self raising flour, raw sugar and salt and stir around
5. Add the egg, melted butter, golden syrup and vanilla essence and stir together until all ingredients are moistened
6. Press the mixture into the tray and use the back of a spoon to push the mixture into the corners of the tray and make the top even
7. Bake in the oven at 190°C for 20 minutes
8. When slightly cooled cut the slice into 12 squares
9. Enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee!!
Thank you so much for visiting my little corner of the web,