Anyone for Arvos?
So it’s the weekend and who doesn’t like a little something with a nice cup of tea or coffee?
Apart from donuts, I have almost never had anything as yummy as my own cooking, but then again I don’t want to spend all afternoon baking so enter:
My love affair with this recipe began nearly twenty seven years ago when I was pregnant with my precious son, Lachlan.
Every Tuesday morning I would pick up my Mum and with my dear little two year old daughter, Donherra, we would go to a little shopping centre and have a little shop around and then have a nice morning tea.
That morning tea included a delicious Greek flaky puff pastry filled with a marzipan paste.
I used to look forward to those Tuesday morning teas I can tell you!
Then disaster occurred – they stopped sourcing them!!
So I had to make my own!!
I do use ready made puff pastry, and when desperate have even used shortcrust pastry, although in the past I have made my own …
After thawing it I fill it with my marzipan mix roll it up and pop it in a hot oven for 10 or so minutes and voila!! a delicious Sweet is born!!
Almond Rollie Recipe:
2 Sheets Puff Pastry
11/2 Cups Almond Meal
3/4 Cup Raw Sugar
90 Grams Butter, melted
3 capfuls Almond essence
Milk for glazing pastries
Extra Raw Sugar for sprinkling on the pastries
Icing Sugar for final dusting the pastries
1. Turn oven on to 210 degrees Celsius
2. Take 2 puff pastry sheets out of the freezer
3. Melt the butter
4. Measure almond meal and raw sugar into a medium bowl
5. Add melted butter and almond essence to the almond meal and raw sugar and gently mix
6. Slice the pastry sheets into three equal parts and place the almond meal mixture lengthways and roll up
7. Cut each roll into three and make into a bow, cut a few slices into the pastry or prick with a fork to allow the steam to escape
8. Brush with milk and sprinkle a generous amount of raw sugar on top
9. Place in the hot oven and bake for 10 – 13minutes … stay close because you don’t want them to burn!
This is an incredibly simple recipe and yet it is such a delicious and delightful treat.
Thank you for joining me in my little corner of the web!!